The aim of the Foundation Degree is to provide a rational, structured and coherent programme of study that offers an alternative pathway to well-motivated and skilled engineers within the region in which Abingdon & Witney College is situated. The programme is relevant to the needs of employers, facilitates CPD of the student and benefits the regional economy as well as potentially offering an opportunity for growth in Higher Education.
This programme intends to:
• Provide students, from a wide range of educational backgrounds, with an opportunity for further study including an alternative route for learners who have completed a Level 3 course and wish to gain work experience and study part-time
• Equip learners with the broad knowledge and ability to apply current technology to existing products and designs as well as developing new ones
• Enable learners to have a sound understanding of Engineering Principles and the skills necessary to communicate them to others and develop them into finished products that meet customer expectations and agreed specifications
• Develop the learner’s ability to reflect on their own work evaluating what worked, what can be improved and how the overall process can be changed for the better
• Enable learners that are employed to make an immediate professional contribution in their work environment through skills learnt and in particular via a work-related project
• Develop the learners’ skills, personal qualities and attitudes essential for reflective learning and practice leading to successful performance in working life through the integrated, but explicit, curriculum and assessment.